If you supply services to the oil and gas industry you know that a COR is a common contractor requirement. But did you know that if your company has fewer than 11 employees you qualify for the Small Employer Certificate of Recognition, or SECOR?
SECOR is a type of COR specifically designed to relate to the training and safety program needs of the smaller company.
Many business owners wonder if the process of applying for a SECOR is more than they can handle in-house, but in fact it’s a lot simpler than you might think. Here on our website you’ll find all the tools and resources you need to register and submit your SECOR audit.
But first, let’s look at why you should apply for your SECOR…
What having a SECOR means to you
Aside from the fact that many oil and gas companies require their contractors and service companies to have a COR (or SECOR), there are several other advantages, including:
- A healthier, safer workforce
- Up to 15 percent savings on your WCB premiums
- Provincial WCB rebates of up to 20 percent in Alberta, and 15 percent in BC
- Up to 25 percent fewer WCB claims made by COR/SECOR holders
How to submit your SECOR audit online:
Companies submitting for their SECOR in 2015 must adhere to new protocols. Check out this video, which explains the differences between the new and old SECOR Protocol requirements:
When you’re ready to consider preparing for your SECOR, there are four requirements:
- Register with the WCB Partners in Injury Program
- Successfully complete Enform’s two-day Safety Program Development Course. This can be taken in several locations in Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan
- Develop and implement a health and safety program that meets provincial standards
- Complete a successful audit of your company’s health and safety management systems
Having completed steps one through three, you will be ready to register and submit your audit documents. Although there are many documents required, it’s quite possible to prepare them without the assistance of outside consultants, and Enform has a range of tools to help.
On our SECOR Audit Protocol Page, you will find all the resources you need to help you complete your registration and submission, including:
- Online registration tutorial
- Online submission tutorial
- 2015 SECOR audit protocol video
- Sample forms
If you’re still not sure, you can also complete the online Certificate of Recognition Refresher Course and check out our online library of Info Session Videos for COR Companies and Auditors.
For more information, read: